Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Information Technology, the Vice President of Applications Development is responsible for the management and oversight of application development and software delivery for the company. This position will serve as senior management for the various application development teams at Lincoln, leading them in the delivery of high-quality, integrated software solutions.
- Staff Management: Manage application development team leaders, establish clear goals, motivate, and oversee coaching and career development. Provide leadership and guidance to obtain optimum performance levels from entire software development team. Provide guidance and standards for the planning and prioritization of resource conflicts, customer demands, and support issues.
- Technical Oversight: Oversight of technical processes from design through development, testing, and deployment to ensure the software comes to life as designed and moves smoothly to production. Work with the development managers to establish and maintain standards, design patterns, and frameworks for future projects. Create and implement processes that enable the team managers to balance the short-term project constraints against long-term maintenance challenges. Proactively study and analyze other technologies, standards and practices for continuous improvement and to ensure quality of implementation.
- Technology Communication: Maintain a high-level of communication with the company’s senior leadership team regarding technology development and product direction. Ensure regular and comprehensive communication between development teams and other groups, as appropriate.
- Project Implementation: Work with application development managers to ensure that analysts, project managers, and product owners are providing appropriate product and technical specifications, direction, and resources to deliver products and projects effectively. Ensure that realistic timelines are established, then work with applications development management to meet project deadlines.
- Technology Strategy: Collaborate with development managers and product stakeholders in defining the product strategy and vision and with developers in defining future technology direction, tools, and development methodologies to support the product vision.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience. An advanced degree or professional certification is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of management/leadership experience in software development
- Minimum of 7 to 10 years experience working through the design, development, release cycle, and delivery of software products to market
- Preferred: Experience working with or for a financial services organization
- Required: Experience with object oriented design and software development, SaaS and cloud-based systems, system integrations and APIs, and complex, custom, web-based applications
- Required: Experience in Agile/Scrum SDLC best practices and methodology and in supporting a team in transitioning from waterfall to agile processes, as appropriate
- Required: Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including MS Project, Word, Excel, Visio (or equivalent) and PowerPoint
- Preferred: Experience with legacy software integration and modernization approaches, in particular with IBMi (AS/400) applications, ColdFusion, and CA PLEX generated RPG code
- Preferred: Experience with Java and/or Microsoft development frameworks
- A record of successful delivery of software applications as an individual, team leader and/or development manager
- Architecture or development experience in the financial services industry
- Demonstrated experience communicating and collaborating across an organization and with executive leadership
- Strong leadership, project management skills, time management, and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, and to recognize new product trends
Strong written and oral communication skills
- Highly self-motivated, able to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment