The Academic and Instructional Services (AIS) Student Marketing and Communications Office (SMAC) is seeking a skilled web developer and programmer to assist in projects designed to improve student recruitment, retention and graduation. The main objective for this position is to improve customer service from the Student Services offices to students as they pursue their educational goals. Up-to-date technology and high quality web-interfaces play critical roles in this objective.
The position is responsible for the planning, design, development, testing, deployment, and implementation of new web applications, web interfaces, computer applications and other system enhancements as designated by Student Services and the Office of the Provost and Executive Vice Provost. This position will report to the AIS Webmaster.
- Work with units in Student Services and the Provost Office in creating and maintaining web systems used by students, staff, and faculty.
- Design, test and implement these new web systems.
- Work with the USU Webmaster in coordinating web development and support as it relates to internal and external applications.
- Assist the Assistant VP for Enrollment Services with technical and program needs focused on student enrollment, retention and graduation.
- Provide consultation to Student Services administration and staff on current processes and potential improvements.
- Research, review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing student enrollment, retention and graduation processes, and develop strategies for improvement of the processes.
- Act as liaison between Student Services, USU IT, end-users, and vendors for development, maintenance and testing of processes and interfaces.
- Partner with USU IT, super-users, and project team members, utilizing both business process knowledge and Student Services system capabilities to capture new requirements for resolution of business issues.
- Create test plans, execute testing on system changes, and communicate results to stakeholders and USU IT to ensure proper functionality is delivered.
- Assist with the creation of training materials and procedures for new and updated programs and processes.
- Maintain awareness of current trends with a focus on product and service development, delivery and support, and application of key technologies.
- Provide guidance, training and troubleshooting as needed.
- Work on special projects and other additional duties as assigned.
Candidates must know:
- OOP Server Side Languages
- MVC Frameworks
Candidates must have:
- A Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field with a minimum of 3 years of experience with database systems, and web-based development.
- An excellent working knowledge of object-oriented analysis, design, and programming.
- 3 years’ practical and quantifiable experience working with HTML, CSS, and AJAX.
- 3 years’ experience working with some variant of SQL.
- A working knowledge of testing/debugging web applications across multiple browsers/operating systems
- Be self-motivated and have a creative and innovative mindset.
- Be able to work independently with little supervision
- Be able to collaborate in a team environment.
- Be able to pass a background check.
- Have good organizational skills.
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Be personable and friendly.
- Experience with ColdFusion and Bootstrap.
- Experience working with shared version-controlled code base.
- Master’s degree in related field.
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- Knowledge of student information systems.