SALARY $5,375 to $7,370 per month
Salary is competitive and commensurate with the successful candidate’s background and experience. This is
a full-time grant-funded position available immediately through June 30, 2016 with possibility of renewal.
Continuation of this position is dependent upon job performance and future project funding. Benefits may be
purchased for employee and dependents through a Section 125 Plan.
Under the supervision of the Director of Research, the Programmer Analyst (PA) works with the Senior
Programmer Analyst on work involving the implementation and on-going management of a statewide
accountability and progress assessment system for young children with Individual Family Service Plans
(IFSPs) and Individualized Education Programs (IEPs). The Programmer Analyst will perform a variety of
professional, technical, and analytical services involving a variety of programming languages, databases, and
operating systems to support the Desired Results Access Reports System (DRAccessReports.org) and related
The PA assists in supporting all aspects of informational technology activities for the Desired Results Access
Project data collection and reporting infrastructure. The PA assists in the development and management of
data collection and information technology systems to support research activities and in developing and
maintaining several Structured Query Language (SQL) databases. The PA holds key responsibility for new
and ongoing research related activities involving studies of the Desired Results Developmental Profile –
Kindergarten (DRDP-K). This includes activities to support building and maintaining websites to collect
statewide research data. In collaboration with the project’s research and technology teams, the PA will also
assist with data maintenance and security, including supporting department staff on security procedures to
protect child-level educational records stored in the database according to Family Educational Rights and
Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Import and export data to and from SQL databases.
- Write queries and analyze results in response to ad hoc research needs and reporting requirements.
- Technical design and documentation of software and database systems across different platforms.
- Engage in problem solving activities related to database and software systems.
- Research, assess and learn new software technologies to adapt to changes in the technology industry.
- Provide technical training and guidance to department staff in areas related to data management and technology.
- Participate in creating and presenting a variety of reports.
- Participate as a member on project work teams and maintain cooperative working relationships with contractors and CDE.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of three years demonstrated experience in web programming and data analysis while working in a team environment.
- Experience developing applications utilizing MVC architecture on Linux and Microsoft platforms.
- Experience developing and maintaining SQL databases, including:
- Installing and configuring database servers.
- Writing queries, views, and stored procedures.
- Managing database backups.
- Monitoring and managing security of database servers.
- Importing and exporting data across different platforms, such as Microsoft Access,
Microsoft Excel, and SPSS.
- Data analysis, cleaning, and merging
- Knowledge of Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) phases and Version Control systems.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with attention to detail.
- Experience working under minimal supervision on multiple projects with timely completion of tasks.
- Ability to multi-task, work in fast-pace environment, problem solve and prioritize tasks, and respond to ad hoc requests in a timely manner.
- Ability to collaborate with personnel from various departments to determine needs, scope, and priorities of current and future data management, system software, and research activities.
- Understanding of statistics and ability to read and interpret scientific/clinical data presentations (charts, graphs, data tables, etc.) preferred.
- Experience with statistical software including SPSS or STATA preferred.
- Experience providing database training or presenting to diverse audiences desirable.
- Experience in educational systems, educational data, and/or philanthropy preferred.