|SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Software Development Analyst has the responsibility for design, development, testing, implementation, and maintenance of large scale financial application systems that meet the needs of the Office of Finance (“Office”) and contribute to its effectiveness. In addition, the incumbent must be prepared to serve as a technical leader within his or her area of expertise.The incumbent serves a critical role in support of the Office’s function as the FHLBanks’ fiscal agent in the analysis, issuance and servicing of the System’s multi billion debt portfolio. The accuracy and the availability of the supporting application systems are critical to the successful operation of the Office.
NATURE AND SCOPE
The incumbent is responsible for all phases of the application development life cycle, including analysis, design, programming, testing, implementation and maintenance. The incumbent is expected to support projects as a technical team leader when called upon to do so by IT Management and will have to fulfill all associated project management responsibilities. These responsibilities include status reporting, distribution of project tasks, and overall technical leadership. The incumbent must be self motivated and team-oriented.
The mission critical applications run on a UNIX environment using browser-based and, in some cases, Rich Internet Application (RIA) technologies as the user interface with SYBASE running under UNIX as the database engine. Application server infrastructure in use at the OF includes Coldfusion MX, and JBoss with middle tier software implemented using J2EE.
The incumbent should have a working knowledge of other technical productivity tools at the Office of Finance. These tools include, but are not limited to:
- UML and Modeling: Enterprise Architect, Visio and ERWIN
- IDE and Build Tools: Eclipse, Adobe Flash Builder, Visual Studio, Maven, Ant
- Source control systems: Subversion
- Reporting tools: SQL-based unix scripts, Hyperion SQR and PERL
- Business Intelligence platforms: Business Objects
- Application Intelligence: Cast
- Collaboration: SharePoint and Microsoft Office
- Rich Internet Technologies: Adobe Flex, Action Script, LCDS
- Frameworks: Hibernate and Struts
The incumbent will work with business units as well as the other Software Development Analyst(s), Software Architects, Database Administrators and System Administrators throughout all phases of the Systems Development Lifecycle. The incumbent is expected to operate under the Office’s procedures for program change control, adhering to enterprise architectural guidelines, and will be required to contribute to any necessary procedural changes to the Software Development Life Cycle.
The incumbent supports Office and FHLBank users by addressing problems and priority needs relating to applications support in a timely and cordial manner. The Software Developer Analyst provides training to users and team members, both individually and collectively, regarding the effective use of application software, productivity tools, and programming languages. The incumbent should also be familiar enough with contemporary tools to suggest innovative methods for the user to accomplish his tasks.
The incumbent develops and maintains accurate and up-to-date user and technical documentation. Technical documentation includes, but is not limited to, diagrams such as UML, Data Flow Diagrams, and Entity Relation Diagrams as well as supporting documentation. In addition, the incumbent is expected to develop and assist with the enforcement of in-house development standards for the development tools installed at the Office.
- Understand business processes of Fixed Income Securities.
- Contributes to improved operations by developing and maintaining financial application systems that meet the needs of the Office using various techniques and technologies, including agile development.
- Ability to work within the constraints of a planned project, ensuring appropriate level of productivity and teamwork to complete necessary milestones.
- Develops and communicates application design and support documentation
- Develops and maintains up-to-date end user documentation.
- Effective support and training of application users by addressing and resolving application-related problems and issues in a timely and cordial manner.
PRINCIPAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
- BS in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field is required.
- Minimum 5 years experience developing applications in a professional software development environment.
- Understanding of application design and programming concepts such as Client-Server Architecture, N-tier Architecture, Structured Design and Programming, Object-Oriented Design and Programming, Test-Driven, Service Oriented Architecture and Agile Development.
- Ability to initiate and complete work assignments accurately and on time, with minimal supervision.
- Experience developing server-side in UNIX and client-side in Windows environment. Knowledge of Cygwin a plus.
- Knowledge of object oriented programming (OOP) and design using Java required.
- Experience developing client-server applications using PowerBuilder a plus.
- Experience developing web based applications using JEE, Coldfusion, or .NET preferred.
- Experience using common web development frameworks: Struts or Fusebox preferred.
- Experience working with an RDBMS: Sybase, T-SQL, and JDBC preferred.
- Ability to communicate well, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of finance and accounting principles preferred.
- Experience in the securities industry preferred.
- Software Development : 5 years