Position is primarily responsible for managing day-to-day operations of the Software Development Department. Key responsibilities include: directly supervising a team of skilled professionals, developing design specifications for software development projects, project management, managing budgets and schedules, vendor management, managing technology infrastructure, and business analysis.
Additional duties may include, but are not limited to: participating in business development activities such as analyzing client / vendor technology requirements, making recommendations to the organization as to future development efforts, and participating in operational and strategic planning.
This position exercises significant discretion, and frequently operates without direct supervision. Errors may have a significant financial and operational impact upon the business.
Examples of Duties
- Meet with internal departments, clients, vendors, etc. to gather information and analyze business needs / requirements
- Create software design specifications
- Estimate timelines and durations of projects
- Monitor the progress of software development projects
- Supervise the work quality and quantity of employees
- Assess infrastructure needs, coordinate acquisition and deployment of hardware resources
- Manage a department budget and project budgets
- Participate in management meetings and contribute to strategic planning and decision making
Experience / Education Requirements
- Minimum 3-5 years senior level leadership experience in an ASP.net environment, including direct supervision / management of software development teams
- Minimum 3-5 years software development project management experience
- Minimum 5 years software development experience in an ASP.net environment
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Information Technology, Software Engineering, or Application Development, or related discipline.
Expected Technical Expertise
Hibernate/Castle, ColdFusion, Telerik Controls, Telerik Reports, SSIS, MVC, HTML5/CSS3, EDI, X509
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Ability to research and gather technical information for the creation of software design specifications
- Ability to effectively estimate timelines and durations of technical projects
- Ability to accurately determine hardware resource needs, and make related recommendations
- Ability to effectively assess risk and reward associated with strategic and operational decisions
- Technical writing expertise, including the ability to effectively compose complex technical requirements such as software design specifications
- Ability to effectively communicate about business, operational, and organizational issues equally effectively with technical and non-technical personnel
- Ability to effectively communicate with non-technical personnel about technical concepts
- Intermediate to expert knowledge of business productivity software platforms such as those that would be used to accomplish the above noted items
- Intermediate to expert knowledge of project management systems such as Project, OnTime, Gemini, Rally, or other similar platforms
- Ability to effectively prioritize multiple projects and tasks in a deadline-sensitive environment
- Ability to effectively remain organized under pressure of high volume workload