Under moderate supervision, the Senior Developer serves as the primary developer and implementer for a variety of projects that support the mission of Weill Cornell Medical College. This includes, but is not limited to, web-based applications, the EHR system, and dictionary entities that support clinical operations, practice management, and content management. Develops software, bug fixes, and utilities in compliance with the established SDLC and best practices. Leads analysis, design, development, testing, integration, and implementation. Works closely with project managers, clients, and colleagues to develop specifications and makes recommendations on the use of technologies.
- Works closely with management and independently to develop detailed specification documents with clear project deliverables and timelines, and to ensure timely completion of deliverables. Assists management in producing project estimates during planning processes, including expertise/technologies required, total number of development hours required, etc.
- Maintains projects and source codes in the appropriate source repository.
- Assists management to determine appropriate architecture and technical solutions, and to make relevant recommendations. Attends meetings for information gathering and establishing business requirements.
- Develops, maintains, and enhances data interfaces, web services, and utilities for new and existing WCMC data sources, and applications. This includes workflows to incorporate/export contents into/from the Master Provider Index (MPI), EHR, Dictionaries. Provides support, design, and scalability for the Physician Dictionary and its processes, including work related to NPI and the Physician Directory.
- Participates and engages in application QA, upgrades, implementation, and workflow designs relating to systems and dictionary entities within the PO as well as in future joint collaboration with NYP and its related entities.
- Develops new applications, enhancements, and supports existing web-based and standalone solutions, including solutions surrounding provider insurance participation, POPS, managed-care, Cerebro, and laboratory webcrawlers.
- Ensures continuity of service in production and post production support through researching, diagnosing, QA, and fixing problems with system components and those experienced by end users, in coordination with ITS.
- Participates, recommends, and performs facets of data and database conversions where applicable and/or as required.
- Assists management in data solicitation and data modeling. Develops solutions for integration and implementation.
- Produces and maintains comprehensive, usable software documentation per project, including requirements, design, implementation, deployment, testing and maintenance.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite. Must be comfortable working in Excel for data manipulation and reporting.
- Familiarity with at least one common web application platform (e.g. IIS, Apache, ASP.NET, J2EE).
- Deep understanding of web client-server application architecture.
- BS in computer science or a related field, or significant equivalent experience
- At least four years of related work experience.
Highly Desired Requirements
- Proficiency in ASP.NET and JSP, J2EE development.
- One to two years proficiency in MSSQL and Oracle.
- Proficiency in .NET and Java Frameworks, Visual C#, XML, HTML, CSS.
- Five years experience in application design and development.
- Familiarity with UNIX platforms (AIX, Linux, and Solaris) and Coldfusion.
Skill and Abilities
- Strong client service skills. Must be able to communicate with both technical and non-technical staff and clients. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with capacity for workflow and collection concepts are desired; ability to visualize conceptually a strong plus. Strong desire and demonstrated capacity to learn new technologies and applications is required.
- Must be a resourceful and flexible self-starter with strong self-management skills, and the ability to excel working independently with minimal guidance.
- Object-oriented programming, design patterns, and best practices.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.