The Director of Application Development manages all aspects of software development and is responsible for working with key business process owners to continuously review and identify new opportunities for the creation of value through application development. The Director, App Dev will also evaluate and recommend staffing requirements to meet demand, ensure projects are delivered on-time, with zero defects, and measure benefits to business against costs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director of Application Development is responsible for managing and having working knowledge of the activities involving the following:
- Business/application knowledge.
- Good understanding of the company’s business functions.
- Thorough understanding of each business unit’s goals and objectives.
- Establishes and enforces standard guidelines used for application development.
- Monitors, measures and continually improves change management methods.
- Provides accurate expectations to business about application development.
- Continually reviews opportunities for improved technologies for future development.
- Ensures development activities follow best practices that are acceptable by internal and external audits.
- Ensures to the best of ability the integrity of production systems are maintained while managing change into processes.
- Work with and coordinate with the key business process owners value added enhancements to processes based on application development.
- Possesses a strong working knowledge of existing, as well as emerging technologies.
- Ensures proper documentation is being created by development group and stored appropriately.
- Ensures priorities are followed as based on the guidance with ISB meetings or other business meetings guidance.
- Ensures appropriate staffing is always available for business needs.
- Motivates staff effectively to meet deadlines and objectives.
- Trains and develops staff. Fosters professional development and growth of team members.
- Complete working knowledge of Development tools in practice.
- Plans for resources and business needs on a long-term basis.
This job may require up to 25% travel with short notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in IT, plus 10 years of application development experience, and management experience supervising a staff of developers.
- Must be familiar with Web-based technologies, SQL database technologies, and Macromedia Coldfusion technologies.
- Must have 5 years of experience in supervisory development role in a medium to large company.
- Must have extensive knowledge and experience with Windows operating systems, and office products.
- Must have extensive experience troubleshooting hardware and software issues. Should have experience with logistics systems (e.g., TMS, WMS, TLS/YMS, and DCS) and business processes (e.g., Warehousing, Transloading, Intermodal, Truckload, LTL, Pricing and CHB.
Competencies, Working Skills and Attributes:
- Superior problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Proven flexibility and adaptability
- Goal and results-oriented
- Strong process orientation
- Ability to interact professionally with all levels of employees, including all levels of management
- Strong time management and organizational skills; ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks; and ability to work under pressure and under time constraints
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and follow-up on tasks to complete work as scheduled and to meet deadlines
- Ability to apply an analytical approach and develop alternatives and recommendations
- Attitude of teamwork, professionalism and a can – do spirit
- Ability to train and coach others
- Ability to follow documented operational procedures and independently organize, coordinate, and complete work requests
- Proven ability to work with frequent interruptions and competing priorities
- Ability to exercise independent judgment where no formal policy exists
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret verbal and written requests and directions.
- Must have the ability to produce detailed written documentation as necessary.
- Must possess professional phone etiquette and have the ability to compose emails and other written documentation clearly and concisely. Must be able to present one’s self in a highly cooperative and professional manner with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations as they relate to job performance requirements.
- Keen ability to assess situations, perform root cause analysis, and provide solutions.
- Ability to think things through and develop processes that contribute to enhanced organizational efficiency.