Director of Information Systems, Boston MA
The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) promotes the protection, enjoyment, and understanding of the mountains, forests, waters, and trails of America’s Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions. The AMC Board has identified information systems and technology as key elements in the success of AMC’s Vision 2020 strategic plan.
AMC seeks an experienced Director of Information Systems with a passion for AMC’s outdoor recreation, conservation, and education mission to lead the organization’s use of technology to further its goals. A successful candidate will have a proven track record of working with senior management to develop information systems strategy, and delivering projects on time and under budget. The Director of Information Systems must be a hands-on operational manager committed to a high level of network and application reliability, performance, and user support. This full-time position reports to AMC’s Chief Financial Officer and is based at our Boston headquarters.
The Director of Information Systems manages all aspects of the organization’s network, application, and data infrastructure and web application development. The Director of Information Systems works closely with AMC’s Leadership Team to identify opportunities for improved constituent engagement, operational efficiencies, and improved staff and volunteer collaboration and productivity through the effective use and deployment of technology.
Major Areas of Focus
- Develop creative and cost-effective strategies for using technology and improving business processes to meet AMC’s mission goals for constituency, youth engagement, conservation leadership, and recreational and leadership training.
- Identify ways to balance the diverse technology needs of our staff and volunteer-led programs against available resources.
- Stay current on technology trends and opportunities in our core membership, fundraising, hospitality, programming, and advocacy areas.
- Develop and work with a group of outside advisors who can offer additional strategic insights and direction on technology and resources.
- Execute AMC’s technology vision and manage all aspects of the organization’s technological development. Major technology projects over the next three years include:
- New or upgraded CRM system and data integration that can provide a 360-degree view of all relationships a constituent may have with AMC, including relationships as a member, donor, guest, advocate, or volunteer.
- Enhancements to our web development platform and marketing automation tools that provide enhanced mobile support and digital engagement.
- An online learning platform and associated learning management functionality.
- Meet regularly with Leadership Team and departmental leads to ensure IT projects are in alignment with organizational goals and properly prioritized.
- Develop and manage operational and capital budget.
- Manage a team that includes user support, network support, web development, database administration and data analysis/reporting.
- Overall management and support of network, application, database, cloud services and telecommunications infrastructure in a distributed environment, including upgrades, provisioning, performance and availability monitoring, and security.
- Negotiate with and manage vendor relationships for key projects, applications, and services.
- Conduct research and manage RFP process for new technology investments.
Qualifications & Experience
- Master’s degree preferred, bachelor’s degree required in information technology or a related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in information systems and technology , with:
- Minimum of 5 years in management with experience managing IT service, strategy, system implementation, and infrastructure.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in CRM and database integration.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in web application development.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in security, intrusion prevention and data protection. Experience in managing a broad portfolio of network, application, telecommunications, data integration, web platform technologies. Knowledge of the following or similar technologies or systems:
- Server technologies such as Windows 2008/2012, Linux, Remote Desktop Services, Active Directory, Exchange, SharePoint, and Sophos ESC.
- Database and data analysis system such as Microsoft SQL 2008/2012, MySQL, MS Report Server, Integration Services, Business Intelligence, Tableau, and ACT.
- Fundraising and membership systems such as Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge and Sphere.
- Hospitality and retail systems such as Maestro reservation and property management system, and Retail Pro POS.
- Telecommunication systems such as Mitel 3300 VoIP, and Mitel Automatic Call Distribution.
- Mobile and tablet technologies such as iOS, Android, and Windows.
- Desktop systems such as Windows 7 and Mac.
- Desktop applications such as Office and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills with the ability to work effectively with all levels of management and staff.
- Excellent technical skills, a demonstrated knowledge of emerging technologies, and an enthusiasm around using technology to solve business problems.
- Demonstrated ability to understand business objectives and translate them into technology solutions.
- Demonstrated hands-on operational experience in network, data center, telecomm, and/or user support operations.
- Passion for the outdoor recreation, conservation, and education mission of the AMC.