About The Opportunity:
DMI is hiring a Deputy Application Development Manager to support the management of a 40-person team of developers, quality assurance analysts, graphic designers, business analysts, and database administrators. This person is responsible for the coordination of day-to-day activities for the team, for providing technical guidance on designs, for performing peer reviews of code and project artifacts, and working with project managers to plan and schedule development initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
As a Deputy Application Development Manager the candidate will be instrumental and responsible for:
- Providing high quality technology recommendations and solutions that address business needs by modifying existing applications or developing and replacing web-based applications.
- Ensure proper staff utilization for current and forecasted projects
- Ensure that project commitments of the Application Development Team are met
- Participate in project planning sessions with project managers, business analysts and team members to analyze business requirements and outline the proposed IT solution.
- Participate in design reviews and provide input to the design recommendations; incorporate security requirements into design; and provide input to information/data flow, and understand and comply with Project Life Cycle Methodology in all planning steps.
- Review document artifacts including detailed application specifications, architectures, deployment plans, etc…
- Participate in code reviews and ensure that all solutions are aligned to pre-defined architectural specifications and identify/troubleshoot application code-related issues.
The work break-down is expected as follows:
- 40% TO 50% – Managing People
- 5% TO 10% – Writing Code
- 25% TO 40% – Reviewing code
- 15% TO 20% – Driving the Release
- 5% TO 10% – Architecture & Design
Education and Years of Experience:
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- 7+ years experience managing a team of developers
- 10+ years of software development experience
- 5+ years developing in an Agile methodology
- Strong technical knowledge of object oriented software development and design using Java, ColdFusion, PHP or .Net.(Heavy focus on Java and ColdFusion)
- 5+ years experience conducting code reviews
- Ability to take business requirements and develop solid technical solutions.
- Managing Software Development Teams
- Agile Methodology
- Knowledge of Object oriented development and design
- Knowledge of coding standards and software development best practices
- Familiar with designing, recommending architectures, and improving on as-is architecture designs
- Familiar with database design best practices.
- Experience with developing and presenting technical recommendations to the customer.
- Application Development hands-on experience required.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Experience with the Rational Jazz Tool Suite
- Customer service experience
- ColdFusion server experience
- Drupal experience
- Liferay experience