As a member of our Information Technology team, the Software Engineer plays a critical role in enabling the successful operation of one of AAMC’s largest service programs, the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS), a centralized medical school application processing service used by most U.S. medical schools as their primary application method for entering classes.
Working in collaboration with senior technical staff, the Software Engineer will primarily utilize ColdFusion to maintain and enhance our existing suite of Web applications.
- Codes, tests and implements programs, as well as develop system documentation according to established standards. Provides operational support to existing applications.
- Performs analysis, design, development and unit testing of software applications from user requirements and design documents.
- Works with customers to assess business needs, document requirements, design solutions, and create prototypes for user acceptance.
- Works with quality assurance team to ensure that the code is well tested, and also resolves defects encountered during various testing cycles.
- Provides occasional support to other IS teams.
- Mentor junior software engineers as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, mathematics, engineering or related discipline required (may be waived with strong practical experience), plus a a minimum of 2 years of relevant job experience.
- Advanced knowledge of ColdFusion, preferably including interaction with Java is required, along with knowledge of SQL.
- Demonstrated experience in Object-Oriented Design is required.
- Knowledge in the concepts, practices and procedures of common software development methodologies and associated artifacts, plus the ability to apply it to complex projects is required.
- Experience migrating from ColdFusion 5 to ColdFusion 8 desired
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain a high level of trust and confidence with business partners.
- Knowledge of or willingness and ability to learn the following: J2EE, Java, Oracle, SQL, Spring Framework, some PL/SQL and RAD
- Ability to effectively work with minimal supervision in a deadline-driven environment is required, along with strong team-oriented interpersonal skills.